New HPV Vaccine - Gardasil 9
GP Matters was the first practice in Scotland to offer the HPV vaccine
privately. We offer Gardasil 9 – the newest HPV vaccine, covering 9 of
the most important HPV strains.
HPV (Human Papilloma Virus) is a common virus that is passed on via genital
contact. There are more than 100 HPV types and they infect genital areas.
Sometimes they cause no harm and the infection can go away on its own.
However, sometimes the virus persists and can cause cells to change – this
can lead to:
- cancer of the cervix, vulva and vagina in women
- precancerous lesions in men and women
- genital warts in men and women
- head and neck cancers in men and women
HPV vaccines have a well-established role in preventing cervical cancers as well as these other conditions.
- Gardasil - Cost: £200 per dose (which includes the appointment
fee) - 3 doses required
For persons 9 through 14 years of age, GARDASIL 9 can be given using a 2-dose or 3-dose schedule.
- 2-dose schedule, the second shot should be given 6–12 months after the
first shot. If the second shot is given less than 5 months after the first
shot, a third shot should be given at least 4 months after the second shot.
For persons 15 through 26 years of age, GARDASIL 9 is given using a 3-dose
schedule; the second shot should be given 2 months after the first shot
and the third shot should be given 6 months after the first shot.
- 3-dose schedule, the second shot should be given 2 months after the first
shot and the third shot should be given 6 months after the first shot.
You can find out further information on the following link: Gardasil 9